In order to e-file your income tax return (ITR), you need to first register yourself. Furthermore, registering yourself is easy.
In this article, we will explain how to register yourself for e-filing ITR.
An income tax return is a form that reports a taxpayer’s income from different sources, deductions, exemptions, and income tax liability.
Types of ITR forms
Here are some of the types of ITR forms-
Sahaj or ITR-1 is a form for people who have a total income of up to Rs. 50 Lakhs and earn income via salary, one house property, pension, income from other sources.
This form is for people who earn income that isn’t from the profits and gains of a business or profession.
ITR-3 is a form for people who earn income via the profits and gains of a business or profession.
This form is for individuals who have presumptive income from a profession or business.
Who Should File ITR?
- A person below 60 years of age and has an income above Rs. 2.5 Lakhs.
- People between 60 and 80 years of age and have an income above Rs. 3 Lakhs.
- People above 80 years of age and have an income above Rs. 5 Lakhs.
- A company must file ITR.
- In case a resident Indian has an asset in an entity located outside India.
A taxpayer is allowed to file income tax return online. This process has made it easy for taxpayers to file ITR. However, for e filing income tax, a person needs to register himself/herself on the IT department’s e-filing website.
Details Required to Register on the e-filing Website
- PAN card
- Mobile Number
- Residential Address
- Email ID
How to Register?
- Visit the IT department’s website
- Click on the ‘Register Yourself’ option
- Select User Type
- Enter details, such as PAN card number, name, etc.
- After that, you need to provide your login details, like the password to sign into the e-filing website, address and contact details
- Once you enter the details, click on the ‘Submit’ option
- An OTP number will be sent to your registered email ID and mobile number. To verify your mobile number and email ID, enter the OTP numbers
How to e-file ITR?
- Visit the website of the Income Tax department.
- Under ‘Download’, go to e-filing, select the assessment year and the ITR form. A salaried person should download ITR-1’s return preparation software.
- Open the software and enter the required details.
- Calculate tax payable. Then, pay tax, and submit the challan details. In case you don’t have a tax liability, you can skip this step.
- After that, confirm the details you have entered. Then, generate an XML file.
- Go to the ‘Submit Return’ part. Upload the XML file.
- You can digitally sign the file. However, if you don’t have a digital signature, then you can skip this step.
- You can download the ITR-verification form.
You can e-verify the return via any of the six modes- bank account number, bank ATM, netbanking, registered mobile number and email ID, demat account number, and Aadhaar OTP.