An order management platform is a software system that businesses use to fulfill their customers’ purchase orders. It allows them to monitor the processes necessary to accurately execute the orders these buyers place. These include order entry, raw material procurement, inventory management, processing, packaging, delivery, and after-sale customer service. This enables businesses to give their customers real-time insight into the current status of their purchase orders. They can even tell their customers of inadvertent problems that arise and steps to take to resolve them. Moreover, businesses are in a position to inform their customers exactly when they can expect their orders. This helps them to enhance their buying experience.
Read more: call center agent monitoring software
How does an order management system (OMS) fulfill purchase orders from customers?
Businesses install and use an order management software system to automate the processing of their customers’ orders. It generally involves the following basic steps:
- Customers place their purchase orders to the businesses on their websites, online storefront or over the phone,
- The businesses’ customer service team verifies the availability of products in the inventory using this software platform,
- The sales representatives inform the customers of the availability of the products they want via the OMS platform that helps them to place their orders,
- They then make an entry of all the relevant data relating to the customers and their purchase orders into the software platform,
- The order management system (OMS) platform then generates a specific tracking number for the customers’ purchase orders,
- The systems team then identifies the products which match the customers’ orders in the inventory using OMS,
- They give specific instructions to the warehouse managers through the system to prepare and pack the products for dispatch,
- The logistic team then uses this software platform to arrange the right transporter to deliver the products to customers’ doorsteps,
- At any point in time, customers can keep track of their purchase orders’ status via the OMS platform, and
- After the delivery, the customer relationship team uses the OMS to ask the customers about their purchasing experience.
The key advantages of installing and operating order management software platforms for businesses are as follows:
- Businesses can automate and streamline processes relating to the fulfillment of their customers’ orders within their supply chain,
- They expect substantial costs savings with this system as it reduces the possibility of improper or late processing of orders, and
- The order management software system allows businesses to provide their customers with real-time updates regarding their orders’ status.
An order management system allows businesses of all sizes to automate the processing of their customers’ purchase orders. This enables them to streamline their entire supply chain. This software platform helps them to identify the products the buyers want are in their inventory. Businesses can then take necessary steps to package and deliver them to their doorsteps. In doing so, they can avoid inadvertent human errors resulting from improper or late processing of customers’ orders. Through the entire process, the system allows them to inform customers of the real-time status and tracking of their purchase orders.